Please note, this post may contain affiliate links. Visit Devine Fairytale’s Disclosure Policy for more details.
The holiday season is the perfect time to indulge in the simple pleasures of life, and what’s cozier and more indulgent than a steaming cup of hot cocoa? Elevate your winter gatherings with a homemade holiday hot cocoa bar that will warm hearts and hands. In this blog post, we’ll guide you through creating a festive and inviting hot cocoa station in the comfort of your own home.
Add this to your list of holiday traditions! We had so much fun setting up a Hot Cocoa Bar with countless toppings and holiday snacks while we played our Christmas playlist and decorated our tree. If you’re feeling extra festive, you can top off your night with a Christmas movie!
How to Set Up Your Holiday Hot Cocoa Bar
A holiday hot cocoa bar is a festive and fun way to warm up on a cold winter day. It’s also a great way to entertain guests during the holiday season. Here’s how to set up your own holiday hot cocoa bar at home.
Choose Your Location
Before you begin assembling your hot cocoa bar, decide on the ideal location. It could be your kitchen island, a cozy corner in your living room, or even a patio or backyard if you’re in a warmer climate. Ensure that it’s easily accessible and inviting for your guests.
Gather Your Hot Cocoa Supplies
Creating a holiday hot cocoa bar is all about presentation. Here are some essential supplies to gather:
- Mugs and Cups: Offer an assortment of mugs and cups in different sizes and styles to suit your guests’ preferences.
- Hot Cocoa Mix: Opt for quality hot cocoa mix or make your own using cocoa powder, sugar, and milk powder.
- Milk and Milk Alternatives: Have a variety of milk options, including whole milk, almond milk, or oat milk.
- Sweeteners: Provide different sweeteners like sugar, honey, or even flavored syrups.
- Whipped Cream: No hot cocoa is complete without a dollop of whipped cream.
- Toppings: Offer an array of toppings such as mini marshmallows, chocolate shavings, crushed candy canes, and cinnamon.
- Stirrers: Include festive stirrers like peppermint sticks or cinnamon sticks.
- Flavored Additions: Think about spicing things up with flavor additions like a dash of vanilla extract, a pinch of sea salt, or a sprinkle of nutmeg.
Create a Cozy Atmosphere
Make your hot cocoa bar visually appealing by adding some festive decorations. Use a tablecloth or placemats in holiday colors, and add some twinkling lights or candles to set a warm and inviting mood.
Customize Your Hot Cocoa
The key to a great hot cocoa bar is variety. Encourage your guests to customize their hot cocoa to their liking. You can even create specialty cocoa drinks like mint hot chocolate or salted caramel hot cocoa by offering flavor additions and specialty syrups.
Don’t forget about the finishing touches. Garnish each cup with whipped cream, a sprinkle of cocoa powder, and a dusting of holiday-themed sugar or edible glitter.
Holiday Hot Cocoa Toppings
- Marshmallows – the minis are our favorite, but I also found some peppermint-flavored ones at Target to add to the mix.
- Crushed Peppermint
- Chocolate and White Chocolate Chips
- Peppermint Sticks – to stir it all together!
- Whipped cream – clearly I LOVE peppermint flavored anything, so finding this seasonal item at Target was super exciting to include.
Set Up a Festive Display
Use tiered trays, jars, and glass containers to display your toppings and add an elegant touch to your hot cocoa bar. Label each container to help guests easily identify their desired toppings.
Include Non-Dairy Options For Hot Cocoa
For guests with dietary restrictions, be considerate by offering non-dairy milk alternatives and a dairy-free hot cocoa mix.
Offer Other Treats with Hot Cocoa
Besides the hot cocoa, consider serving some delicious accompaniments. Traditional holiday cookies, gingerbread, or even warm, buttery croissants can add a delightful touch to your cocoa bar. If you want to stick with the hot cocoa theme, you can make this quick and easy Hot Cocoa Dip recipe.
Add some cozy elements to your hot cocoa bar, such as a basket of cozy blankets, cushions, or a playlist of holiday tunes in the background. It’s all about creating a warm and welcoming environment.
Festive Mugs for Hot Cocoa
You’ll definitely need mugs to help get you in the spirit too! Check out some of these cute ones if you need some inspiration.
Holiday Movies to Stream on Disney Plus
Now, on to the movies, here is a great list of some holiday movies and specials you can stream on Disney+ this season:
- Disney Holiday Singalong
- Disney Holiday Magic Quest
- The Wonderful World of Disney Magical Holiday Celebration
- Home Alone 1, 2, and 3
- The Santa Clause 1, 2, and 3
- The Muppet Christmas Carol
- Miracle on 34th Street
- The Nutcracker and the Four Realms
- Decorating Disney Holiday Magic
- A Christmas Carol
- Prep and Landing
- Mickey’s Once Upon a Christmas and Twice Upon a Christmas
- The Christmas Star
- Babes in Toyland
- One Magic Christmas
- I’ll Be Home for Christmas
A holiday hot cocoa bar is a fantastic way to create warm, cherished memories with family and friends during the festive season. With these steps, you can set up a hot cocoa bar that not only warms the body but also warms the heart. So, invite your loved ones, let your creativity flow, and share the joy of the season, one cup of cocoa at a time.
I hope you all are able to find some magic this holiday season! What is your favorite Christmas movie of all time?