Please note, this post may contain affiliate links. Visit Devine Fairytale’s Disclosure Policy for more details.
Does packing for a trip stress you out?
I am not one of those people on Pinterest who can pack an entire week’s worth of items in a single carry-on bag, although I totally give them props! I will share with you how I pack for a trip and make it a little less stressful. We travel pretty often so I have a bit of a routine that I follow to get ready for a trip.
Let’s break it down…
- I try to start early and plan everything out. Feeling prepared helps manage my stress level prior to traveling.
- I plan out my outfits based on the number of days we will be gone and the activities we will be doing. I lay out my outfit, shoes, accessories, and anything else I might need for a certain outfit.
- I try to stay within a color scheme as much as I can. That way shoes, purses, and basic jewelry will go with everything. That way you aren’t trying to pack a pair of shoes for every outfit!
- I have a general packing list saved on my computer that I print ahead of time. I then add anything special for a particular trip, like Magic Bands and ears for Disney. As things are packed, I cross them off and I can make sure nothing is left at home. I also have a spot that I can add any items that need to be taken care of before leaving, for example placing our mail on hold if we will be gone for an extended period of time.
- I use packing cubes in multiple sizes to keep items organized in my suitcase so I can easily find what I need.
- If I have a lot of bulky clothing items, I will use space saving or vacuum bags for those items…they are AMAZING!
- I’m always cold so I throw in a lightweight sweater in my carry on (usually a large tote or backpack) for airports and planes.
- I tend to wear a pair of sneakers on travel days and they don’t have to take up space in my suitcase.
- Airports can charge steep prices for food and drinks. Obviously, you can’t take liquids through security, but you can prepare ahead of time with your own snacks. I always stash some in my carry on. Things like nuts, crackers, freeze-dried fruit, protein bars, etc. Great idea for road trips too!
- I try to pack travel-sized toiletries if possible. It saves a lot of space and makes packing easier. Ulta has a great selection of items (usually by the checkout), as well as Target. I’m able to leave most of these items packed and ready to easily grab to pack. I use the eBags Classic Large Pack-It-All Flat Toiletry Kit. It holds a ton of items, packs flat, and has a hook you can hang it with while traveling.
- I have a travel case that I pack all of my jewelry in with compartments. This keeps it all together and untangled. I also have another pouch that I use to hold other accessories, like headbands or clips.
What are your best packing tips and tricks? Let me know!
The color scheme tip has been something I recently started doing and it really helps! This way you can basically use the same accessories (purse, shoes and such) and still look great! Thanks for such a great post and usable tips!
It's a great tip for over-packers like myself 🙂 It can at least save a little bit of room!
I am the worst at packing! I always wait until late the night before or the morning I leave, then spend a frantic half hour cramming a bunch of unneeded things into a bag. Thanks for the great tips!
Hope they can help you on your next trip!
Thanks for the tips. They are great. I can always get better at packing.
Kristin and Megan
I need to be better about rolling!
I started doing this very recently and it definitely helps!
What a sweet kitty! I always, always over pack! I just dress on my mood for the day, lol.