Please note, this post may contain affiliate links. Visit Devine Fairytale’s Disclosure Policy for more details.
Whether it’s the start of a new year or just time for a refresh, a quick declutter is always a good idea! This is a great time to start with a clean slate and regroup. Sometimes clutter can overwhelm our homes and our minds. If you are in need of a quick fix, here are 10 things to declutter right now…quickly! If you aren’t sure where to jump in, this can be a great starting point. These are simple areas to sort through and it won’t feel quite as overwhelming as an entire closet or all of your kitchen cabinets. Grab a trash bag, press play on your favorite playlist, and let’s get started!
10 Things to Quickly Declutter Right Now
1. The Infamous Junk Drawer: We all have one right? Maybe more than one if we’re being honest. All of the random items fall into it because there isn’t somewhere else for them to go. Over time, the junk drawer fills up and needs a refresh. Do you really need everything in it? Probably not. What can you toss? Maybe add in some drawer inserts to add some structure.
2. Your Email Inbox: How many sales emails do you have in your inbox that you never went back to and never deleted? Take some time to do a quick purge. Add important emails to folders and clear out your main inbox. If you use Gmail, Dani at Thyme is Honey has some great tips to get your inbox into tip-top shape!
3. The Medicine Cabinet: Take a look at expiration dates. Toss out any already expired items and make a list of what you need to replace.
4. The Gift Wrap Stash: So many of us hold onto gift bags, tissue paper, and bows to have handy for wrapping presents. While it’s great to have these items at home and ready to use, you likely don’t need all of it. Get rid of anything that’s ripped or too wrinkled and condense your gift wrapping supplies a bit. If you need a way to organize everything, an over-the-door gift wrap organizer is really helpful or even just a tall basket to hold it all.
5. All of the Paper: Coupons, magazines, catalogs, receipts…paper clutter is everywhere! This is something that can get out of hand quickly. Try to sort through it regularly and establish a system. Are there items that can be thrown out? Anything that you could digitize? I use clear acrylic trays that stack to sort paperwork on my desk.
6. Food Storage Containers: I’m willing to bet you have some container pieces missing their match. What happens to all of those lids anyway?! No need to hold onto these. You might want to consider paring down your collection overall. Do you really need all of it? We absolutely love the glass set from Pyrex.
7. Socks: Take a quick look and toss any socks that are worn out or missing their mate.
8. Books You’ve Already Read: If you have stacks of books that you have already read and won’t read again, get them out of your house to make room for new ones. Donate them, sell them, or even swap them with friends!
9. USB Cables and Chargers: How many do you really need? Sort through them all and keep them all in one place. Velcro cord organizing wraps will help deal with all of the tangling and make it so much easier to find what you need.
10. Reusable Shopping Bags: These shopping bags are great to have on hand for a number of uses, but I’m sure there are quite a few that could go. Take a look to see what sizes you have and get rid of the excess.
Ready to start organizing? I am obsessed with The Home Edit and their line at The Container Store and Walmart. I linked some of their best items below if you’re ready to take your decluttering to the next level!