Please note, this post may contain affiliate links. Visit Devine Fairytale’s Disclosure Policy for more details.
Thanksgiving has passed and now we have all of the Christmas (and Hanukkah) parties ahead of us! If you’re trying to stay on track in your fitness journey or working on losing weight, this time of year can definitely make things difficult. If it’s something that’s important to you though, there are ways to get through it and still stay on track with your goals with these healthy tips for holiday parties.
Healthy Tips for Holiday Parties
1. Drink a LOT of water! Did you know that you are supposed to drink half of your body weight in ounces of water each day? So, if you weigh 140 pounds, that’s 70 ounces of water every day. Are you doing that?! Staying hydrated has so many benefits, including increasing your metabolic rate. It also keeps you feeling full and helps to ward off feeling like you need (or want) an unhealthy snack. I try to drink several ounces of water before heading out to a party and stick to it while I’m there.
2. You usually don’t know what temptations will be at these parties and if you are hungry, you are more likely to give in. Fill yourself up with something healthy before you go! Plan your meals strategically. If I have a party to attend at night, I will eat some egg whites for breakfast instead of my usual shake. I’ll eat a nutritious lunch and then make my shake to have while I’m getting ready and on the way to the party. When I get there, I’m full and less tempted by all of the sweets! I will use my best judgement if I want to have a bite to eat.
3. Try out some fun holiday protein shake recipes! Want to try my favorite? It’s Chocolate Peppermint! One serving of chocolate protein powder mixed with water and a little bit of almond milk, add a splash of pure peppermint extract and some ice to blend. Tip: don’t use too much peppermint! It’s better to start with a little bit and add more if needed. You can even add coffee to make a healthier version of Starbucks’ Peppermint Mocha.
4. Eat something before you leave the house. You’ll be less likely to eat a bunch of sweets if you are full from a healthy meal or snack ahead of time.
5. You can always offer to bring a dish or a snack to the party. By doing this, you have the ability to make it something healthy and you will know there is something for you to eat that fits your meal plan and aligns with your goals.
6. Try to avoid drinking your calories. Most cocktail mixers are full of sugar. If you’re planning to enjoy some alcoholic beverages, opt for something like a vodka soda with fresh squeezed limes.
7. If you do have some extra sweets or just overeat in general, don’t beat yourself up about it. Just be sure that one night doesn’t turn into a whole month of falling off track. Enjoy what you ate and then move on. Jump right back in to your healthy meal plan and don’t give up.
What are some other ways you stay on track with your health and wellness goals with all of the holiday fun?
Leave a Reply